Sunday, August 31, 2008

COME AND SEE

It was indeed an eye-opener to attend the seminar organised by SBF on role of Buddhist Music in proprogating Buddhism. It's a pity I was late for the event and missed the earlier session of discussion.

Little did I know that Music is still not widely accepted in Buddhist circles. I recalled that one of the earlier Buddhism talks I attended was Venerable Chodron's and usually before the talks, there will be a singing session by 1 or 2 groups singing Buddhist hymns, similar to Pop and Folk songs often sang at Christian assemblies. Recently, there was also release of albums by abbot of kmspks, hence, I had always thought it was widely accepted also as a means of proprogation in Buddhism as well.

Resources not being channelled to promote Buddhist music and the need to compose new songs to suit the younger generation more receptive to pop music to Buddhism is highlighted. What also left me a deep impression is the enthusiasm displayed by Brother Daniel in trying to teach Dharma to children in Fun, Interactive & Simple (F.I.S) way. He and his passion alike Dharma friends had produced lively English children Buddhist songs.

You may refer to the demo at their web: http://www.d-kidz.com/comensee2.html.
If they could have a musical concert as what they had done overseas in S'pore, I am sure alot of young parents will support it.

Hopefully, after this seminar whereby various views were gathered, I look forward to even greater support and growth of Buddhist music to reach out to more people.
Cheers:-)

No comments: